Friday, September 22, 2017

never did no harm

never did no harm




Gabby walked a little bit of a dance these days. What could it be? She smiled, thinking of somebody's gaze.

Oh, she hoped she wasn't too silly, or stupid. But, Ste almost took her breath away. It was so hard to stay calm around him.

She really did want to put her hands, all over him. Why was she a girl like that? Why?

She knew that was why Howie didn't like her. She was a bit touchy feely..now and again. It came second nature to her.

She hoped Ste didn't find her crazy.

Gabby ran up the steps at the back of the bakery and tapped on Ste's door of where he'd taken residence, so he could get to the bakery quickly at four or so in the morning.

He opened the door. She was glad he was happy to see her.

"So, how is it going?" Gabby asked. It was late afternoon now. The bakery was closed.

"Not so bad, I feel like I need 24 hours of sleep, but still..it feels good to be busy." He told her.

She peaked into his place. Just a bare thin bed and an empty bookshelf. There was an electric tea kettle for breakfast and late night soup.

"Want to get a library card?" She then asked.

He shrugged and said, "I guess so."

She told him it was a few blocks away. "But we can walk there." She'd shown him around town the day he'd gotten here. He didn't stay long at Macy's. He said he didn't want to be a bother.

"Don't you have a boyfriend?" He asked after they'd gotten down the street, a block or so past the middle school..going toward the high school.

"No, not lately." She looked at him out of the corner of her eye. She couldn't help but smile and his smile was just as sly.

"Not lately? You've probably have lots of blokes, making them cry..and all." He smirked.

"Not me." She wrinkled a smile and shook her head. He laughed softly.

"Um, my timing must be right." He told her. "I have arrived exactly where I want to be." He stopped and turned to her and took a bow. "In the company of your presence." He looked her in the eye and she couldn't help but giggle.

"I like you." She admitted, thinking she was far more forward than she had ever been with anyone, in ages.

He messed with the top of her hair then.

"Aw, so I'm easy to talk, too. Is that it?" His smile was so inviting. It was hard for Gabby to keep herself from being completely giddy.

Before she knew it, he was putting a lock of her hair behind her ear. He was actually touching her.

Ste pressed his lips tight.

"You, make me think of your sister." He told her.

"But.." Gabby wanted to tell him they were not biological sisters.

"I'm afraid..I'm..I'm still in love with her. So, I can't..I can't do much good, for you." He stepped back to the side of her, and looked away.

"Oh.." Gabby didn't know what to say. "I..I..meant..I..I want to be your friend." She thought she might sink to an all time low.

Why did everyone love Macy?

Gabby gritted a smile and walked on with Ste to the library.

1 comment: